Shake up your usual selection of healthy green veggies by sauteeing collards and spinach. The robust “bite” of sauteed collards is complemented by milder spinach. Sunflower oil adds a delicate nutty flavor that pairs nicely with the garlic and lemon in this recipe.
- 4 cups fresh washed collard greens (trim off the thick stems)
- 4 cups fresh washed spinach
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 6-8 cloves slices garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 fresh lemon or lime
- 1/4 cup olive or flax oil
- In a large pot or pan, heat the sunflower oil over medium heat for about 7 min.
- Add sliced garlic and saute for 5 min stirring frequently.
- Add the fresh collard greens, spinach and water; saute, stirring frequently, until wilted – about 10-15 min depending on desired tenderness.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, and olive (or flax) oil.
- Squeeze the lemon/lime over the top of the greens and mix well.
Interested in more delicious and nutritious recipes like this one? Call (360) 570-0401 and schedule an appointment with our fabulous certified nutritionist, Gwen Krieger.