Dandelion greens pack a nutritional punch. Serve them raw in this simple salad recipe with fresh goat cheese and apples for added flavor. If you don’t have apples in season, or stored, substitute any firm fruit that’s in season. You can embellish this salad with the colors of the season by sprinkling in any of our ‘Super Salad Substitutions’ listed below.
Tell us how you make this decadent salad your own in the comments below!
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or nut oil
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon local honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch dandelion greens, washed and dried, stems removed
- 1/4 lb fresh white goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 apple, cored and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- Whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, salt and pepper together to make dressing.
- Pour dressing over greens and toss lightly.
- Top with goat cheese, nuts and apple. Serve chilled.
Super Salad Substitutions (or Add-ins)
- Baby Spinach
- Shredded Carrots
- Yellow Pepper (diced)
- Pomegranate Perils (seeds)
- Instead of Goat Cheese, try Farmer’s Cheese.
For more delicious recipes, schedule an appointment with our certified nutritionist, Gwen, at 360-570-0401.
Recipe Adapted from Mother Earth News. Roger Doiron (April/May 2008)