Easy, simmered slow-cooker chicken is perfect for a back-porch meal. To insure optimal flavor and a tender entree, opt for bone-in thighs instead of white meat which can dry out when cooked for long periods. Make prep easier with pre-peeled organic garlic, and pretty-up the platter with lemon slices and sprigs of thyme or rosemary.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 T all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T fresh lemon juice, divided
- 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled
- 12 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 T chopped, fresh parsley
Coat bottom and sides of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
Combine stock, wine, flour, butter, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk; pour mixture into slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken thighs evenly with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place thighs in slow cooker, skin side down. Arrange potatoes, garlic, and thyme over chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper evenly over garlic and potatoes. Cover slow cooker; cook on LOW for 8 hours.
Transfer chicken to a platter. Transfer potatoes and garlic to platter with a slotted spoon; discard thyme sprigs. Sprinkle chicken and potatoes evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and parsley. Strain cooking liquid from slow cooker through a sieve into a liquid measuring cup; let stand 3 minutes. Discard any fat that rises to top of liquid. Serve jus with chicken, potatoes, and garlic cloves.
- Recipe Resource: MyRecipes.com https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-40-cloves-of-garlic