Things really heat up in August and this easy vegan recipe will be the spice of your end-of-summer/back-to-school gathering. Deliciously nutritious, these lettuce wraps bring together three plant-based proteins: brown rice, spiced tofu, and cashews. The brown rice and cashew add a sweet contrast to the spiced tofu. Though optional, having a tableside bowl of tahini, cashew cream or a cilantro-lime dressing adds a nice mild complement to the wraps.
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 package organic tofu (firm or extra firm is best)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup roasted cashew halves
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (sriracha)**
- 2 carrots
- 3 small heads lettuce (or 1 large)
- Tahini, cashew cream, or cilantro lime cream dressing (not vinaigrette), to serve (optional)
**If you’d like a milder variety, hold the sriracha for a table condiment that each person can add to their wrap according to their liking.
- Cook the brown rice, according to the package instructions. When it’s done, season the rice with some kosher salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Drain the tofu by wrapping it in a paper towel, placing it on a plate, and covering it with a heavy object for 5 minutes or more.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the tofu and break into very small pieces with a spatula. Sauté for about 15 minutes, until brown.
- Add the frozen corn and stir for a few minutes until most of the liquid has cooked out of the tofu.
- Add the chili powder and cashew halves, stir to combine. Add the soy sauce and hot sauce and stir until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, peel and grate the carrots. Wash and dry the lettuce leaves.
- To serve, place rice, tofu cashew mixture, and grated carrots within a lettuce leaf, and roll up the leaf.
Recipe Adapted From: A Couple Cooks. “Spicy Vegan Lettuce Wraps.” https://www.acouplecooks.com/spicy-cashewlettuce-wraps