When you’re battling a cold or other respiratory condition, your lungs often get congested with mucous that’s difficult to cough up. Forceful coughing can irritate the sensitive lining of your respiratory passages; your chest and stomach hurt with the effort, it’s hard to breathe, impossible to relax, and all at a time when your body is working hard to recover good health. Still, you have to expel that trapped mucous in order to prevent infection from developing in the lungs, causing more serious illness such as bronchitis or bacterial pneumonia. A mustard chest pack may be just the trick. Mustard stimulates blood circulation by dilating the capillaries. Applying a mustard pack over the lungs helps open the airways and makes it easier to cough and release phlegm. Next time you’re down with a cold, give it a try.
How to Prepare a Mustard Pack
- 1 T. Mustard Seed Powder
- 4 T. flour
- A drizzle of Olive or coconut oil
- Cotton Cloth (muslin cloth)
- Warm, wet wash cloth
- The mustard seed powder must be finely ground. If yours is lumpy, place in a mortar and pestle and grind until fine.
- Add flour to the mustard powder and drizzle in a little water to make a paste. The paste should not be thick or watery.*
- Sterilize the cloth by boiling it in water. Squeeze out excess water and place on a clean cutting board.
- Spread a thin layer of the mustard paste on the cloth.
- Apply a thick coat of the oil and then place the mustard pack on the chest. Cover with a warm wet cloth.
- Leave in place for 15 minutes, then remove the pack and wash the area with warm water.
*See images of preparation at: www.wildturmeric.net
- “Mustard Poultices in the Treatment of Acute Bronchitis” in The Medical Summary: A Monthly Journal of Practical Medicine, New Preparations, Volume 35. (1914) p.117. Accessed via Google Books 9/19/2017: https://books.google.com/books?id=PwJYAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA117&lpg=PA117&dq=mustard+poultice+dr+weil&source=bl&ots=mGgx0Y9hSQ&sig=36-hi_r4WVmIsMfzMnh-4E899PI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW1u-X3LHWAhXF4yYKHTIkDCcQ6AEIOjAD#v=onepage&q=mustard%20poultice%20dr%20weil&f=false