Spaghetti squash is a great choice for incorporating a tasty, meatless meal into your weekly menu. Although it has a mild nutty flavor on its own, when you combine spaghetti squash with sautéed onions, olives, feta, and juicy tomatoes, it absorbs those flavors, resulting in a Mediterranean dish everyone will enjoy. This recipe makes a hearty, lunch or dinner. If going meatless isn’t your preference, pair this dish with fish or chicken.
- 1 3-4 pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 3/4 cup crumbled organic feta cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced organic black olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place spaghetti squash on the baking sheet, cut sides down. Bake until you can poke a sharp knife into the squash with little resistance, about 35-45 minutes. Remove squash from oven; set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and cook briefly, about 1 minute. You only want to warm the tomatoes.
- Use a large fork to shred the “spaghetti” from the squash and place the strands in a large bowl. Toss with the sautéed vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- Recipe Source: Garnish with Lemon. https://www.garnishwithlemon.com/mediterranean-spaghetti-squash/