This light, healthy, and delightfully flavorful dinner is easy to make on a busy weeknight. While you can use any mushroom or combination of preferred mushrooms, the dish is made most interesting with the use of morels, porcinis, and chanterelles. These ‘shrooms give the meal a nutty, earthy, and hearty flavor that becomes even more robust after cooking. The shallots, thyme, lemon, and other aromatic herbs will have even the meat-eaters entranced at your table. Great for a lunch, breakfast, side dish, or appetizer!
- 6 Tbsp olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 4 3/4 inch thick slices country-style bread
- 1 garlic clove
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter (Earth Balance for dairy free)
- 12 oz mixed mushrooms (such as morels, chanterelles, crimini, maitake) coarsely chopped
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp dry white wine
- 1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream (can sub unsweetened dairy free yogurt)
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (loosely packed) trimmed watercress, torn
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped chives
- Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Working in batches, fry bread until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer bread to a plate; wipe out skillet. Rub garlic clove onto bread, then season with salt. Using a paring knife, poke holes all over bread (so it can soak up all the sauce).
- Heat butter and 3 Tbsp oil in the same skillet over medium-high. Add mushrooms and shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the mushrooms are golden brown and slightly crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Add wine and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds. Add crème fraîche and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened but still loose and velvety, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in thyme and lemon zest, then remove from heat; season with salt and pepper.
- Toss watercress, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Drizzle with oil.
- Divide mushroom mixture among toasts. Top with chives and watercress salad.
Nast, C. “Crispy Mushroom Toasts with Watercress and Chives.” Bon Appétit, May 22, 2017. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mushroom-toasts-with-watercress-and-chives