Everyone loves a nice, hot soup on a cold, rainy day. This vegetable soup is packed full of healthy veggies including carrots, green beans and broccoli. You’ll get a good boost of dietary fiber, biotin, magnesium, potassium, vitamins A, B6, C and K all in one bowl.
This soup is super easy to prepare and can even be made in a crockpot if you’d like to set it and forget it. Feel free to make it your own by adding in your favorite veggies or maybe even adding a little chicken. Make it a vegan soup by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Treat your family to a healthy winter with this wholesome vegetable soup. Enjoy!
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (from approximately 3 medium leeks)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- Sea salt
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds (approximately 2 medium)
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 15 broccoli florets
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped dill (optional)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat the sunflower oil in large, heavy-bottom stockpot over medium-low heat.
- Once hot, add the leeks, garlic, onions and a pinch of salt and cook until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add the tomatoes and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 min.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook an additional 15 min.
- Remove from heat and add the parsley, dill and lemon juice.
- Season, to taste, with sea salt. Serve hot and toasty.
Soup is one of those wonderful dishes that get better after sitting a day. Make this yummy vegetable soup ahead of time and enjoy it all week long. This recipe can even be adapted for the crockpot, if you’d like.
Tell us how you make this soup your own in the comments below!
For more delicious recipes, schedule an appointment with our certified nutritionist, Gwen, at 360-570-0401.